[draft] Proposed resolution 2003-01-06.wta.2

Branden Robinson / SPI Treasurer branden+spi-treasurer at deadbeast.net
Tue Jan 7 17:04:26 UTC 2003

On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 04:47:08PM +0000, David Graham wrote:
> The existing resolution specifices that it is not a standing committee.
> It will be dissolved when its work is done after its report is presented
> on time for the July annual meeting. (Final paragraph.)

Oops, my fault for overlooking that.  Thanks.

> "The committee will consist of five (5) members selected by the board of
> directors,,(sic) all of whom have to be contributing members of SPI. It
> will present its proposals in time for the general meeting in July. After
> completing its intended purpose the committee will be dissolved."

Yup.

> I don't think it's a good idea to specify what the committee looks at. I
> think it'll be necessary for the committee to review every section of the
> by-laws and it may find it necessary to propose several minor amendments
> for consistency and clarity as well as structure.

I wholeheartedly agree.  My feeling is that we need to ensure that we
select a good chair for the committee, who is able to ensure the
committee can fulfill its charter and not get bogged down on any one
issue.

Within a few months, and well before July, it should be clear as to
whether the Board can muster quorum for its meetings solely through an
effort of will.  If it cannot, the committee should have unfettered
discretion to recommend changes to the by-laws that they feel would
bring about a desirable result.

--
G. Branden Robinson, Treasurer
Software in the Public Interest, Inc.