SPI Workshop/Brainstorming Session at Debconf

Benj. Mako Hill mako at debian.org
Fri Jul 11 11:49:40 UTC 2003

On Fri, Jul 11, 2003 at 01:17:49PM +0200, Josip Rodin wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 11, 2003 at 04:28:15AM +0200, Benj. Mako Hill wrote:
> >  SPI's includes the broad goal of promoting free software. As a
> >  result, SPI's relationship to its member projects is not as close,
> >  and perhaps as meaningful, as the relationship of the GNOME and
> >  Apache foundations to their member projects perhaps. In response, SPI
> >  could could move implicitly toward this model or explicitly by
> >  renaming to "The Debian Foundation."
>
> Non sequitur...?

Sorry. I wrote this part very quickly because I meant to get this out
a long time ago and was rushing toward the end. There were a couple
logical leaps in there that I apologize for.

The idea is that the GNOME Foundation and the Apache Foundations
appear to have closer relationships to their projects than SPI does to
Debian and that this is something that Debian should emulate.[1]

Moving toward this relationship could take a number of different
forms. Acting different is one. One act (symbolic perhaps there *is*
something to a name) would be to make this refocusing explicit in
SPI's name. I realize that this puts other projects, like OFTC, in a
strange place.

If I'm doing a poor job of presenting this its because it's not a
proposal that I really buy into but had heard mentioned by others. If
there are people that feel strongly about this or would like to
present this as an idea or proposal, I welcome

Regards,
Mako

[1] In his State of the Nation talk today at LinuxTag, Martin
    Michlmayr mentioned a researcher who was doing research into the
    relationship of free software non-profits and free software
    projects. I am looking forward to checking this out.

--
Benj. Mako Hill
mako at debian.org
http://mako.yukidoke.org/