SPI Workshop/Brainstorming Session at Debconf

Theodore Ts'o tytso at mit.edu
Sat Jul 19 23:34:06 UTC 2003

On Sat, Jul 19, 2003 at 01:29:40PM +0200, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> I already disagree here. Debian's aim is to provide a free operation
> system, developer in an open manner. SPI's aim is to help organisations
> to develop and distribute open hardware and software (see
> http://www.spi-inc.org/about). It naturally follows that Debian fits
> that very well, but there are also many other projects which fit just
> as naturally.
>
> Yes, SPI was founded because these services were needed for Debian, but
> the founders were wise enough to realise that Debian is not unique in
> needing them. In my opinion it would be an error to suddenly forget
> about all other projects and focus solely on Debian.

Perhaps an interesting thing to think about is what differentiates the
Apache Foundation and the SPI.  Both seem to have very similar
functions --- they provide a legal framework for organizations
interested in Open Source software.  Both have a "key project" which
was the original reason for founding each respective organiztion, but
which now support many other projects in their respective frameworks.

One difference is that the Apache foundation seems to be a bit active
and energetic about telling the world that they exist, and that they
are open to hosting helping projects that wish to work under their
umbrella.

Now, before anyone gets any ideas, I'm not suggesting at this time
that the SPI and Apache foundation should merge, or any such
foolishness.(*)  Only that it would perhaps be a useful exercise for
the board to consider in what ways the SPI and Apache foundation are
similar, and in what ways the SPI is unique and distinguishes itself
from the Apache foundation.

Put another way, suppose someone came up to you, and said, "our
particular project needs a legal/fincancial home to so we can accept
donations, et. al., and we have a couple of options, including (a)
affiliating with the SPI, (b) affiliating with the Apache Foundation,
(c), or creating our own non-profit organization with its own board
and legal charter.  Please advise us what we should do".  What advice
would you give that particular project leader, and why?

						- Ted

(*)  Although if the SPI had continued to have trouble finding
energetic volunteers willing to serve as officiers and board members,
it's something I would have suggested --- it's hard to
suckers^H^H^H^H^H^H^H conscientious works willing to serve on the
boards of such organizations, and who will do the thankless work of
worrying about budgets, doing the accounting, dealing with lawyers,
and so on.