SPI Workshop/Brainstorming Session at Debconf

Josip Rodin joy at srce.hr
Tue Jul 22 11:41:10 UTC 2003

On Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 01:46:06PM -0500, Ean Schuessler wrote:
> > Fresco is not a Debian project. It has nothing to do with developing an
> > operation system or any of Debian's goals. It's free software, but
> > that is about it.
>
> I believe that "being free software" is the only thing that any piece of
> software has in common with Debian's goals. Debian's goal is to build a
> useful operating system composed entirely of Free Software. It is
> natural that Debian, with its many resources, would want to incubate
> interesting Free Software projects and aid their success.

But Fresco has _nothing_ to do with Debian. I don't remember if it's even
packaged. Fresco is being hosted by SPI and SPI only. In addition to that,
I don't believe they transferred any copyrights or trademarks to SPI so SPI
isn't obliged to use any money (especially not Debian's money) to defend
them in court.

> The services that SPI claims to provide cannot be provided without
> Debian's resources.

Fresco is the perfectly valid example of exactly the contrary.
And it's working out just fine. Don't fix it when it ain't broken.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.