SPI Workshop/Brainstorming Session at Debconf

Josip Rodin joy at srce.hr
Thu Jul 24 21:53:49 UTC 2003

On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 04:59:52PM -0500, Ean Schuessler wrote:
> So, then, what is our mission? Does "SPI hosted" just mean web hosting? Is
> it a productive use of all of our time to build an organization that
> provides "free" web hosting for Open Source projects? Isn't that
> SourceForge? Who will provides the bandwidth for these downloads? I will
> note that Purcel (which provides Fresco with its web space) is hosted by
> my company at my expense. I'm friends with Graydon Hoare so I'd host
> Fresco anyway, but I'd like a Brainfood button on the page or something.
>
> Purcel is just another resouce that was given to SPI because of Debian.
> The fact that Fresco is only a small draw on borrowed Debian resources
> doesn't really make your point effectively.

You make the whole thing sound really... wrong. I don't know how else to
describe this attitude. We can evacuate purcel from Brainfood if you like,
too. The only reason nobody suggested it before was because it wastes so
little bandwidth it's not even remotely touching the limits of your T1.
(FYI there are many places that would be happy to give us lots more bandwidth,
and places with a much higher threshold of when money is mentioned.)

But even if graydon being a Debian developer was the only reason for SPI to
originally host Berlin (now Fresco), I don't see how this could be construed
as something that needs the whole project's backing in any way (regardless
of what you speculate courts will think). Fresco needs some resources, and
it's SPI that's lending them a hand, not Debian. If it was Debian, it would
be done on a .debian.org machine.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness