Resolution for a board membership election

Manoj Srivastava srivasta at acm.org
Wed Oct 8 01:33:40 UTC 2003

On Tue, 7 Oct 2003 19:27:07 -0400 (EDT), David Graham
<cdlu at railfan.ca> said:
> On Wed, 8 Oct 2003, Anthony Towns wrote:

>> On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 03:48:56PM -0400, David Graham wrote:
>> > WHEREAS the Board memberships of Ian Jackson and Martin Schulze
>> > have reached the end of their 3 year terms;

>> Given that only Bruce, John and Mako have actually been appointed
>> by vote of the membership in the first place, is there any reason
>> for the rest of the board not to offer their seats up for election
>> too?

	A mad grab for power?

	Continuity?  I think that any more than about one third of the
 board being replaced at any given time is likely to be disruptive.
 At the discussion on #spi at the time of the meeting today, the
 discussion meandered around to electing 3 board members every year;
 with a total size of about 9 people, giving each board member a term
 of 3 years.

> Indeed Joey and Ian's seats expired months ago, but the board passed
> an emergency resolution to extend their terms until now. Their terms
> having now re-expired, I believe this is an opportunity for the
> board to live up to its responsibility to the membership and not
> automatically re-appoint those expired board members, as some board
> members were prepared to do at today's non-quorate meeting.

	I see. We have not been living up to our responsibility to the
 members? Looking back at the logs, the notion was not seriously
 considered, despite what the above paragraph makes it sound like.

	Fair enough. I was going to wait until we had elected the new
 board members, and help ratify them, but I suppose I'll stop hogging
 all the power of a SPI board member.

	I hereby resign from the board of SPI, effective
 immediately.  At least I don't have to try and make time in the
 middle of the work day once a month.

	manoj
--
HOW TO PROVE IT, PART 7 proof by forward reference: Reference is
usually to a forthcoming paper of the author, which is often not as