Amended Resolution

Benj. Mako Hill mako at debian.org
Thu Oct 9 21:12:14 UTC 2003

On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 02:26:12PM -0500, John Goerzen wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 11:06:30AM -0700, Benj. Mako Hill wrote:
> > * The voting shall take place on the Software in the Public Interest
> >   web site using the Condorcet election method;
>
> Don't we usually vote by e-mail?

The election in February was done on the website. I Was assuming we
would be using the same software and with the minimum number of changes.

> > * The results of the election will be verified and announced by the SPI
> >   secretary no more than 7 days after voting has ended.
>
> What happens if this doesn't happen?  Is the election nullified?  Having
> this clause in there makes me nervous because we are left with a highly
> ambiguous and dangerous situation if, for instance, Wichert gets drunk at a
> bar after the election and drunkenly steps in front of a train.  Not that
> this would really happen, of course :-)
>
> The point is, we should either suggest a certain direction or specify what
> happens of the requirements are not met.

I'd welcome text to clarify this if you can write something up. David
Graham and Jimmy Kaplowitz have already brought this up on IRC and it
sounds sane to me.

> > * The three most preferred candidates, as determined by the method
> >   stated above, will be named to the board of directors of Software in
> >   the Public Interest, Inc. before the next meeting of the SPI board
> >   of directors.
>
> Another question that needs to be clarified is: exactly whic hseats are up
> for grabs?  Ian, Joey, and Manoj?

Do you think this really needs to be clarified? The seats are now
empty, we can elect people to board to fill empty seats, regardless of
who they belong to. If you feel strongly abou this though, I'm happy
to put it back in.

Regards,
Mako

--