Resolution 2003-10-14.dbg.1

David Graham cdlu at railfan.ca
Tue Oct 14 18:36:11 UTC 2003

This is my final draft. The last several clauses were removed, and the
very last clause was replaced. The resolution has also been renumbered to
avoid missing clause numbers.

Resolution 2003-10-14.dbg.1

>  WHEREAS
>
>   1.  The Board memberships of Ian Jackson and Martin Schulze
>       have reached the end of their 3 year terms as directors and
>       Manoj Srivastava has resigned from his position as director and
>       the board now consists of only 7 members;
>
>   2.  The membership of the board of directors must remain
>       between 8 and 12 in accordance with the constitution;
>
>   3.  Software in the Public Interest Inc.'s by-laws require the
>       Board of directors to be accountable to the membership;
>
>  THE BOARD RESOLVES THAT

    4.  The Board of Directors calls an election of the contributing
        membership for two seats on the board of directors.

    5.  The election shall be organized and overseen by the SPI board's
        secretary or his designate.

    6.  The voting period shall begin as soon as possible, no later
        than 21 days after this resolution is passed. The position paper
        period must begin within 7 days of the passage of this resolution.
        The voting period shall be 14 days.

>   7.  Candidates shall be SPI contributing members.  Candidates must
>       declare their intention to run by submitting a position statement
>       to the SPI secretary by a date before the beginning of the
>       election and determined and publicly announced by the secretary;
>
>   8.  The voters shall be SPI contributing members;
>
>   9.  The voting shall take place on the Software in the Public
>       Interest web site using the Condorcet election method;

    10. The results of the election will be verified and announced by
        the web site's voting software immediately upon completion of
        voting.

    11. The two most preferred candidates, as determined by the method
        stated above, are hereby appointed to the board of directors of
        Software in the Public Interest, Inc. 7 days after the
        announcement of the results.

>   12. While the board may repeal paragraph 11 before the appointment
>       takes effect, the board resolves to do so only if there are
>       problems with the conduct or integrity of the election.

    13. At the start of voting, no new Contributing Membership
        applications may be accepted until the results have been released.

    14. Any SPI contributing member may stand as candidates in the
        election according to paragraph 7 above, regardless of whether
        they have served on the board in the past.

    15. The Board shall address the issue of amendments to the Corporate
        By-Laws of Software in the Public Interest immediately following
        the election.

---
David "cdlu" Graham
Guelph, Ontario