Board of directors membership election

Craig Small csmall at enc.com.au
Sun Oct 26 22:04:24 UTC 2003

On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 01:44:02PM +0200, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> We're using condorcet voting, which does not have a concept of equal
> ranking except in the no preference sense.
Do you mean no preference at all?

> People should really just
> read the instructions, and the voting system should probably print
> a fat warning saying 'your vote has no meaning' if people select
> a single option.

A warning at least would be useful.  What does Debian use for it's GR?
It appears to allow incomplete ballots.

So SPI uses one sort of voting, which must not have blank options, and
Debian uses another sort of voting, which does.

"In the brackets next to your preferred choice for group name, place a
 1.  Place a 2 in the brackets next to your next choice.  Continue till
 you use 3 for your last choice.  You may leave choices you consider
 unacceptable blank."

You should be able to easily see why the SPI voting system has a problem.

  - Craig
--
Craig Small      GnuPG:1C1B D893 1418 2AF4 45EE  95CB C76C E5AC 12CA DFA5
Eye-Net Consulting http://www.enc.com.au/   MIEE         Debian developer