Let's do online donations today

david nicol whatever at davidnicol.com
Wed Sep 17 05:16:22 UTC 2003

In effect, TipJar was a prototype for Paypal.

TipJar is still operating, unchanged since 1997.  It
is wholly controlled by me personally.

It began when I was the treasurer of the UMKC ACM
student chapter, as a web interface to the club's
checkbook.  The current president of the club
did not think that operating a global general-purpose
payment engine was within our club's mission however
so I set it up independently.

It could IMO benefit greatly from having its operation taken
over by another entity, such as software in the public interest.

Or at least by partering with some entity more established than
independent musicians.

The dotGNU CashBox project is to be a system for tracking credit
paid in by customers or donors

We could set up dotGNU cashbox for spi-inc

--
David Nicol /  kernel 2.6.0 is pretty whippy