Call for discussion: adding member projects?

Joachim Breitner nomeata at debian.org
Tue Nov 2 17:43:16 UTC 2004

Hello,

please note that my ideas were meant to be contradicted :-)

Am Montag, den 01.11.2004, 09:56 +0100 schrieb Wichert Akkerman:
> Previously Joachim Breitner wrote:
> > Just brainstorming:
> >  * Projects should not be opposite competitors to current member
> > projects (e.g.: a redhat based distro - no, a debian basted distro that
> > cooperates with debian - yes)
> Why not? A bit of competition can't hurt.
That is true.
I was about to propose that we could try to urge competing member
projects to cooperate (think freedesktop.org wrt Gnome and KDE). But
then I thought the projects should be independent and sovereign in what
the do. This leads to the questions: Should we consider criteria for
adding members that we don't plan on holding up for added members? Or
should we restrict ourselves to criteria that members should continue to
fulfill?

> >  * Project should have a focus that is more than just one package or
> > project (debian, gnome, gnustep, something-like-sourceforge - yes.
> > screen, wget, gnupg - no)
> Again, I disagree. The current member projects don' even fit that
> profile.
I agree with your disagreement. But what other criteria should be
considered?

Only one I can think of is how much the project actually needs us, that
is, do they really expect donations, do they have finances to handle, is
there legal issues the project can't handle? While I think I like this
criteria, it can only be a guideline and we need a committee or
something that will have decide on a case to case basis.

Greetings,
nomeata
--
Joachim "nomeata" Breitner