GNUstep project support

David Graham - SPI Secretary cdlu at spi-inc.org
Thu Nov 4 19:09:40 UTC 2004

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Adam Fedor writes ("GNUstep project support"):
> > We would like SPI to handle the acceptance and disbursement of
> > donations.  Disbursement of donations would be made at the request of
> > the GNUstep maintainer (me) or possibly in the future, some GNUstep
> > development committee.
>
> Here's a resolution for the meeting:
>
>  Proposed Resolution 2004-11-04.iwj.1
>
>  WHEREAS
>
>  1. GNUstep is a substantial and significant Free Software project.
>
>  2. The GNUstep developers would like SPI to take donations for
>     purposes related to GNUstep.
>
>  THE SPI BOARD RESOLVES THAT
>
>  3. GNUstep is formally invited to become an SPI Associated Project,
>     according to the SPI Framework for Associated Projects.
>
>  4. The GNUstep Maintainer, currently Adam Fedor, will be authorised
>     to represent and act for GNUstep, with respect to SPI, and to
>     nominate successors.

Isn't this covered by the Advisor resolution, which makes the project
responsible for assigning its own representative, and thus moot this
point?

Advisor resolution:
http://lists.spi-inc.org/pipermail/spi-announce/2004/000092.html

>  5. This invitation will lapse, if not accepted, on 2005-01-03.

I would change the wording to:
  5. This invitation will expire 60 days after its passage by the Board of
  Directors, if not accepted.

>  FURTHERMORE, WHEREAS
>
>  6. The current text of the Framework for Associated Projects is not
>     available on the SPI website Resolutions section, nor are the
>     minutes of the August 2004 board meeting at which the Framework
>     was amended.

Minutes:
http://lists.spi-inc.org/pipermail/spi-announce/2004/000099.html
Resolution:
http://lists.spi-inc.org/pipermail/spi-announce/2004/000091.html

>  7. The SPI Secretary is mandated to compile the text of the Framework
>     for Associated Projects, as amended.  The SPI webmaster is
>     mandated to publish the Framework on an appropriate location on
>     the SPI website.

See http://lists.spi-inc.org/pipermail/spi-www/2004-October/000555.html
SPI's website administrators have been in possession of a complete list of
changes that need doing for a month, and this message is cc'd to them as a
reminder.

>  8. When this is done, the SPI Secretary is mandated to formally
>     notify the Board's invitation to Adam Fedor and the GNUstep
>     project, with reference to the Framework.

Strike paragraphs 4, 6, and 7, modify 5, and you'll have my support for
it. A lot of this language doesn't belong in our acceptance resolution for
a member project.

I have no objections to the GNUstep project though I admit I know little
about it.

Thanks.

---
David Graham, SPI Secretary