Today's meeting

Ian Jackson ijackson at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Tue Nov 9 18:02:44 UTC 2004

John Goerzen writes ("Today's meeting"):
> Reminder: there is an SPI board meeting today at 1900 UTC.  [...]

Well done for posting that, with the timezones too.

> Also, please view the agenda at http://www.spi-inc.org/secretary/agenda/
> prior to the meeting and review all resolutions and minutes pending.

Indeed.

> We have many items on the agenda today, some of which are complex
> issues.  I intend to do my best to hold the meeting to one hour.
> [...]

I'm hoping that the following issues can be simply voted on at the
meeting:

   5. Outstanding minutes (David Graham)
	+ October 5th, 2004
   6. Resolution 2004-10-15.iwj.1: Efficient Board Meetings (Ian Jackson)
      - Amendment 2004-10-18.dbg.1 (David Graham)
   7. Resolution 2004-10-15.dbg.1: Non-meeting voting (David Graham)
   8. Resolution 2004-10-16.dbg.1: Committee Framework (David Graham)
   9. Resolution 2004-10-28.dbg.1: Treasurer's Budget (David Graham)

There has been discussion on the lists of most of these.  I will send
a separate mail to restate/clarify my positions on them.

The following issues should be deferred and therefore removed from the
agenda:

  10. Resolution 2004-11-08.iwj.1: GNUstep as Associated Project
       (Ian Jackson) -- deferred

 I haven't received any reply from the FSF yet, so we should
 postpone this as previously discussed.

  11. New project request: OpenC++ (unclaimed)

 There has been little preparation on this item despite an imprecation
 to the `entire board' in last week's reading to do some homework.
 Speaking personally, I'm still waiting for a reply to my (rather
 late) question to the OpenC++ developers.

 There is no motion ready for this, so it should be deferred.

I also note the following items:

  3. President's update (John Goerzen)
  4. Treasurer's report (Jimmy Kaplowitz)

I'm disappointed that these reports aren't ready to read now.  I think
these items should be deferred until the next meeting, as it is now
too late for the Board to properly consider any report that might be
made at this late stage.  (I'm assuming that there is no need to make
a decision needs to be made on some urgent matter.)

Ian.