Project specific donations

Branden Robinson branden at deadbeast.net
Thu Oct 14 22:55:16 UTC 2004

On Mon, Oct 11, 2004 at 01:11:21PM -0700, Bruce Perens wrote:
> I agree about the fact that there seem to be a lot of good artists
> willing to carry on the tradition of starving artists.
>
> But we're still happy to discuss affiliating with SPI. Essentially, we
> manage money for your project and spend it at your project's direction.
> It's not our job to tell you what is and is not a good use of money
> collected.

Well...there are limits on what we can do with projects' funds.

Donating a member project's funds to the Republican National Committee, for
example, would probable nuke SPI's 501(c)3 status and maybe violate U.S.
campaign finance regulations as well.

In general I tell people they can direct us to spend money on anything that
won't put SPI in legal jeopardy.  Of course this should go without saying,
but as the nexus between free software and real-world politics gets more
complex, we might want to stress this point a little bit more.

--
G. Branden Robinson, Deputy Treasurer
Software in the Public Interest, Inc.
branden at deadbeast.net