Resolution 2004-10-16.dbg.1: Committee Framework

David Graham - SPI Secretary cdlu at spi-inc.org
Sun Oct 17 17:37:42 UTC 2004

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004, Jimmy Kaplowitz wrote:
> I don't think a committee would be useful in the sense of sharing the
> load. We currently don't have an overwhelming amount of work (unless
> Branden disagrees). The main thing on our todo list is to apply for an
> account at FirstIB, which specifically requires coordination between
> John, David, Branden, and me, and which couldn't simply be done by any
> arbitrary committee.

Though an oversight committee may not be completely unreasonable even if a
treasury committee is overkill. An over-all oversight committee
responsible for watching over the entire board in some manner may be
appropriate.

> However, if the idea was to have a committee that could approve small
> treasurer-related expenditures more quickly than the full board can,
> then I can see that it might be useful. If the $50/month budget is
> retained (note the reduction from the current $100/month), it would only
> be needed for medium-sized expenses and small expenses in a month where
> other expenses maxed out the $40 budget. In other words, it's certainly
> a reasonable idea in any case, but only really essential if I don't
> retain a meaningful budget.

Could you draft a resolution to renew your funding?

I think the following would be appropriate in it:

1. The Treasurer's $100/month budget stands at that amount.
2. Unused portions of the $100/month do not carry over to the next month,
however reimbursements apply to the month they were initially spent, not
refunded.
3. There is no requirement that the $100/month be spent.
4. Every cent is accounted for back to the board.
5. It must be renewed annually at the annual meeting.

This allows the treasurer to spend more, if needed, including the hiring
of a bookkeeper without any further approval from the board, within the
restrictions of $100 per month.

If you don't spend the $100 a month, ten years from now you won't be
sitting on a $12000 pile of cash and decide the Treasurer really needs an
official vehicle.

Limiting it to $50 a month as you are proposing, which may make sense now,
could curtail your ability to add proper mail forwarding or hiring a
bookkeeper in the future. I would rather you had a $100 budget now and
spent $30 than have a $50 budget and find that you actually need to spend
$52.50 one month and have to provide a supplemental resolution for the
extra money.

> BTW, our President already has the bylaws-given authority to appoint
> committees, so I don't know why we always bother with full resolutions
> for them. Or does that only extend to choosing the membership instead
> of the entire committee charter?

On this, I agree with Joey. The President may strike any committee he
wishes, but for the board to do it as a whole provides for 1) the
committee operates on the knowledge that it has the backing of the board
and 2) the charter can go through proper vetting by requiring a vote.

---
David Graham, SPI Secretary
cdlu at spi-inc.org   D5F45889