Resolution 2004-10-16.dbg.1: Committee Framework

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Sun Oct 17 20:26:34 UTC 2004

On Sun, Oct 17, 2004 at 03:28:25AM -0400, Jimmy Kaplowitz wrote:
> BTW, our President already has the bylaws-given authority to appoint
> committees, so I don't know why we always bother with full resolutions
> for them. Or does that only extend to choosing the membership instead
> of the entire committee charter?

According to my read of Article 10, committees may only be formed by
the board after a discussion/review period among the membership.  The
charter is also supposed to define the "membership structure" of the
committee.

Yet, on checking on this now, I see that  you are right that article
eight gives the president the ability to "appoint all committees".  I
don't really know what that means, given the language in Article 10.
Perhaps that means that the Board is supposed to charter the committee
and the President is to appoint people to it?

If so, that's another thing we haven't been doing quite right.  Sigh.

If so, I would be happy to delegate that responsibility to the
committees themselves as contemplated in David's resolution.

-- John