Resolution 2004-10-16.dbg.1: Committee Framework

Branden Robinson branden at spi-inc.org
Mon Oct 25 19:24:23 UTC 2004

On Sun, Oct 17, 2004 at 03:28:25AM -0400, Jimmy Kaplowitz wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 17, 2004 at 09:16:21AM +0200, Martin Schulze wrote:
> > > David Graham - SPI Secretary writes ("Resolution 2004-10-16.dbg.1: Committee Framework"):
> > > I can see, for example, that it might be useful for the board to
> > > delegate a day-to-day finances committee to oversee the work of the
> > > Treasurer, authorise minor non-project-related expenditures, etc.
> > > That might allow Jimmy to get authorisation for things quicker (if
> > > that's what he wants).
> >
> > I'd first like to hear from our two treasurers if the work is too
> > much for them and a committee would help them.
>
> I don't think a committee would be useful in the sense of sharing the
> load. We currently don't have an overwhelming amount of work (unless
> Branden disagrees). The main thing on our todo list is to apply for an
> account at FirstIB, which specifically requires coordination between
> John, David, Branden, and me, and which couldn't simply be done by any
> arbitrary committee.
>
> However, if the idea was to have a committee that could
> approve small treasurer-related expenditures more quickly than the full
> board can, then I can see that it might be useful. If the $50/month
> budget is retained (note the reduction from the current $100/month), it
> would only be needed for medium-sized expenses and small expenses in a
> month where other expenses maxed out the $40 budget. In other words,
> it's certainly a reasonable idea in any case, but only really essential
> if I don't retain a meaningful budget.
[...]
> In this message I am speaking only for myself as Treasurer, not for
> Branden as Deputy Treasurer.

It looks like Jimmy's views reflect my own.

I don't object to a finances committee being appointed if that is the will
of the membership, given the pretty awful track record of our Treasurers
(the sitting officer excluded), but I don't actually believe having one
will help Jimmy and I get things done to an appreciable extent -- unless,
as he said, his budgetary authority is withdrawn entirely.

And I don't think cancelling the budget is a good idea.

--
G. Branden Robinson, Deputy Treasurer
Software in the Public Interest, Inc.
branden at deadbeast.net