Call for discussion: adding member projects?

David Graham - SPI Secretary cdlu at spi-inc.org
Fri Oct 29 15:18:11 UTC 2004

Lately we've had two requests from projects - OpenC++ and the GNUStep
project - who are interested in joining SPI as member projects.

Traditionally, the board has alone approved or disapproved projects,
though in 1999 a committee was formed to handle member projects:
http://www.spi-inc.org/corporate/resolutions/resolution-1999-09-21.iwj

The now apparently defunct (did it ever actually exist?) Project Committee
did not handle researching or approving member projects, but I'd like to
propose that we recreate a Project Committee whose job it is to handle
applications for member projects as well as day-to-day affairs for these
projects, if applicable.

That said, a more important problem is setting out guidelines for what
projects are and are not eligible to become member projects on SPI.

As I see it, any free software or open source project that needs some form
of capabilities not available to non-incorporated projects is eligible to
join, but accepting every project out there would make us quite large,
quite fast.

What guidelines or even strict rules should we use in the acceptance or
rejection of member project requests?

---
David Graham, SPI Secretary
cdlu at spi-inc.org   D5F45889