Branden as DPL

David Graham cdlu at railfan.ca
Tue Apr 12 14:16:28 UTC 2005

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005, Jimmy Kaplowitz wrote:
> This does, however, bring up one question about the interaction between
> his several positions. Unlike previous DPLs, Branden will at the same
> time be a voting member of SPI's board of directors, as well as Deputy
> Treasurer.  As a simultaneous director and DPL he has the ability to
> directly affect SPI's relationship with Debian from both perspectives at
> once, and as Deputy Treasurer he has direct access to SPI/Debian bank
> accounts and frequently processes both donations to and disbursements
> from them.  (However, do note that I am Treasurer and not Branden.)
> [...]
> Branden, the board, and the rest of -general's readership: what are your
> thoughts on this?

The SPI board currently consists of 3 former DPLs (Ian, Bruce, and Bdale),
and two others (tbm and wiggy) are actively involved in SPI's management
in non-board roles. As far as I know, Branden is not the first DPL to sit
on the board during his term.

Branden is not officially the treasurer though has many of the powers of
the treasurer due to his having taken on the role of 'deputy treasurer'.

I personally trust Branden and his judgement, and would have no problem
with him keeping both DPL and SPI dep. tres. roles should he want to do
so. The treasurer is ultimately in charge of the treasury, not the deputy
treasurer, and as DPL, Branden would still have to make submissions
through the treasurer for disbursements.

The fact that Branden will be the new DPL and is an active and caring
member of the board who takes on more of a role than simply attending
meetings says to me that the affect will be only to improve SPI and
Debian's relationship.

I think, historically, we at SPI have been too quick to call something a
conflict of interest. This shows in the form of people abstaining on their
own reports, motions, or resolutions, and other similar silliness.
Personally I see being interested in both SPI and Debian's well-being not
as a conflict, but as a complement of interest.

- -
David "cdlu" Graham - cdlu at newsforge.com
Guelph, Ontario - http://www.railfan.ca/