plone based website test

Kaare Olsen kaare at nightcall.dk
Thu Jan 13 16:15:55 UTC 2005

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 08:10:30 -0600
John Goerzen <jgoerzen at complete.org> wrote:

> FWIW, Drupal also has that.  It's an SPI project now, and I have found
> it a lot simpler to set up than Plone.  (Though Plone may have evolved
> significantly since I last looked at it.)

Does Drupal, and Plone, have functional multi-lingual support yet?

SPI's current website is entirely multi-lingual and is based on Debian's
website [1].  The multi-lingual support is based on Apache's content
negotiation [2], which displays web pages corresponding to the visitors'
configured preferences in their web browsers. [3]

Translations of documents on SPI's website are tagged with the version
number of the original document in order to track updates to the
original.  Any outdated documents can be found by running a Perl script,
and the textual changes are found using cvs (or more easily with ViewCVS
[4], when it is working).

We need similar features in a CMS.

While content negotiation isn't necessarily needed in a CMS, we do need
a feature that can display untranslated content amongst translated
content like e.g. the news section on the front page and the overviews
of minutes and resolutions.

The translators need some sort of notification mechanism to make us
aware of changes, and also a feature that can highlight changes between
versions of a document.

Just something to think about. :-)

[1] http://www.debian.org/website/
[2] http://httpd.apache.org/docs/content-negotiation.html
[3] http://www.debian.org/intro/cn
[4] http://cvs.spi-inc.org/webwml/

--
Regards, Kaare - contributing member, Danish translator of the website