Holding more discussions in public

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Wed Mar 2 19:37:07 UTC 2005

Hello,

I have noticed that there are a number of discussions here that are held
on -board or -prviate when there is no real need for them to not be on
-general.  Some of them are on both -board *and* -private, which seems
extra silly.  I'd like to propose this:

 * Elimination of board-private mailing list and the repeal
   of 2003-03-11.iwj.1.  That list is never used anyway.

 * When carrying out discussions, we should be able to assume that:
   + Everyone subscribed to spi-board is also subscribed to spi-private
   + Everyone subscribed to spi-private is also subscribed to
     spi-general

 * All conversation, discussion, debates, updates, etc. should be
   carried out on spi-general (or a different public SPI list) unless
   there is a compelling reason not to.

 * All remaining conversation should be carried out on spi-private
   unless there is a compelling reason that it should be restricted to
   members of the board.

I could think of only one example of something that would go to
spi-private:

 * Private information about financial transactions or addresses
   (that is, a donor may not wish to be publically identified)

And I could only think of one example of something that should go to
spi-board:

 * Confidential discussions with SPI legal counsel

I think that most of the conversations in spi-board, and a goot number
of them in spi-private, have no need to be held in private.

To implement this, we'll need a resolution repealing 2003-03-11.iwj.1.
I don't think we need resolutions for the rest of it.

Comments?

-- John