Fundraising idea: a zazzle T-shirt contest

Greg M. Johnson pterandon at yahoo.com
Wed May 4 16:17:12 UTC 2005

I have an idea for a fundraising idea. The cool thing
about zazzle is that you can host gobs and gobs of
images for free and there is little "social cost" to
having un- popular work up there.

Here's an idea:

i) create a zazzle account whose "beneficiary" is your
foundation.

ii) invite submissions of digital artwork which either
general advance your worldview of free software (yes,
I'm sure I used wrong term) or demonstrate attractive
use of the logos of whatever distros/ packages you're
officially sponsoring.  Entrants could put their name
in fine print on the bottom.  Images ought to be
horizontal: 2100 pixels x 1800 pixels,
or
vertical:  1800 pixels x 2100 pixels

iii)  upload "all" of the entries (save perhaps a few
inflammatory or exceptionally low quality pieces) to
zazzle.

iv) Then invite voting on the best, using zazzle
itself as the display medium.  Zazzle itself ought not
be harmed by you having gobs of people log on to their
site;  some folks might buy shirts they see right
away-- benefitting both institutions. There's a way to
get thumbnails of images yourself as well.

v) The digital artists themselves need not get a huge
prize, but I'm sure that you have something to give
them, like a free download of something (ha!).  If you
don't give them anything, it's probably less cheezy
for zazzle's end of the bargain anyway.  But there
could be special awards from different institutions
just like one might see at the regional Science Fair,
like "Best Overall", "Best use of Debian logo", etc.

vi) Institutions or SPI-affiliated web sites could
also honor the entries by putting a link to the entry
found to be best. If for example there were an
ultracool Debian pic, a link to it could go on Debian
site.

WARNING: THE CATCH

I think it's the case that this project would require
transfer of copyright.  And this could be confusing.
It might require the submitters to submit a piece of
paper with a signature in order to transfer the
copyright.

Just an idea

"preserving the 'american way' has nothing to do with christ."   --Moby

See my links at
http://www.geocities.com/pterandon/index.html