[Spi-private] Publically viewable resolutions and increasing the visibility of board activity

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Thu Dec 28 18:00:29 UTC 2006

Michael Schultheiss <schultmc at spi-inc.org> wrote:
> MJ Ray wrote:
> > If implemented, this seems likely to cause many more membership votes:
> > "If the board decides not to consider an issue, the membership may
> > vote on the resolution."
>
> This is already mentioned in Article Five of the bylaws.

Apologies for not making it clear: that was what I was quoting.

> > > If the board will not consider a resolution, it may be put before the
> > > membership for a vote. The proposer should submit the vote to the
> > > secretary with N seconds. N is defined as:
> > > N = sqrt(M) where M is the number of contributing members.
> >
> > This suggested amendment to the bylaws looks like another new barrier
> > to member participation, designed to allow the board to ignore member
> > requests completely, unless they're backed by 20 contributing members
> > or 1 board member.
>
> This is not an amendment - see paragraph 4 or Article Five of the
> bylaws.

That seems to be for resolutions to be put to the membership directly.
There seems no seconding requirement at present before members may
vote on resolutions that the board refuse to consider.

However, this red-tape wrangling is beside the main point: why is the
board making member participation even more complicated?

Please, improve member communication before adopting these sort of new
rules and requirements.
Somerset, England. Work/Laborejo: http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
IRC/Jabber/SIP: on request/peteble.