[Spi-private] Bruce's Platform

Joshua D. Drake jd at commandprompt.com
Fri Jul 14 16:00:57 UTC 2006

Bruce Perens wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> This is important because as new groups sign up, they are going to have
>> differing ideals about things like software patents.
> Actually, I think that a pro-software-patenting organization would be in
> conflict with SPI's stated purpose for existence, which is to build,
> promote, and educate about Free Software. Software patents are the very
> best way I know of to promote Free Software.

You are missing the point :). The organization is not relevant here. It
is the companies that give to the organization. PostgreSQL in particular
has a large portfolio of very large companies that would frown on us
taking any public, political stance in that regard.

>> Sounds like lobbying not education.
> Some of it. But SPI can't, for example, donate to a political campaign
> as lobbyists often do. We'd lose our 501(c)3 status.
>> Are you kidding? If you believe so strongly in the anti-software
>> patent, join an existing PAC... Keep the movement focused. Don't
>> splinter it to the point where it's not relevant.
> 1. There is no such PAC today. That is a problem we need to work on, but
> it's outside of the 501(c)3 guidelines.

We as in the FOSS community? Or we as in SPI. I am with you on the former.

> 2. Saving Free Software from software patenting is a heck of a lot more
> relevant than managing a checkbook.
>>
>> You mean like this?
>>     * to support, encourage and promote the creation and development
>> of software available to the general public;
>>     * to organize, hold and conduct meetings, discussions and forums
>> on contemporary issues concerning the use of computers and computer
>> software;
>>     * to foster, promote and increase access to software systems
>> available to the general public;
>>     * to aid, assist, cooperate, co-sponsor and otherwise engage in
>> concerted action with private, educational and governmental
>> organizations and associations on all issues and matters concerning
>> the use of computers and computer software
>>       and generally
> Yes, exactly like that.

Which does not fall under the pervue of what you are trying to sell :).
Lets focus on those first, at least in terms of the SPI.

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/