Process problem with the election.

Benj. Mako Hill mako at debian.org
Fri Jul 14 16:08:49 UTC 2006

<quote who="Bruce Perens" date="Thu, Jul 13, 2006 at 09:10:24PM -0700">
> Josh Berkus wrote:
> >On the other hand, it got people to read it.   I doubt anyone read mine.
> >;-)
> >
> And the way my luck has been running, it'll be on Slashdot or LWN in 15
> minutes.
>
> And that will make my work evangelizing government and other folks
> outside of the community harder, because we have just given CompTIA and
> Microsoft excellent ammunition to use in FUDing whether or not the
> community even cares about the things I'm talking about.

For the record, I care a whole lot about the things that you're talking
about. I appreciate your work and you have my *full* support in your
work against software patents.

But I don't really see how a seat on the SPI board helps you oppose them
more effectively and I do think that the lack of an active, interested,
and involved board has the potential to hurt or limit SPI. I think that
what SPI needs now is an active board that is willing to put real time
and effort into the organization.

I care a whole lot about SPI -- probably as much as you do. I also
decided not to run this year because I thought that some new energy and
the potential for more actively engaged board members would do the
organization some good. You can read about my own decision not to run
again this year here:

  http://mako.cc/copyrighteous/freesoftware/20060705-00.html

Regards,
Mako