[Spi-private] SPI board and the software patent issue

Joshua D. Drake jd at commandprompt.com
Fri Jul 14 16:50:14 UTC 2006

Bruce Perens wrote:
> Benj. Mako Hill wrote:
>> But I don't really see how a seat on the SPI board helps you oppose them more effectively
> It's important to get SPI and its members and especially its board more
> involved in issues. This is not just about getting them to help ME to
> oppose anything, it's getting them to do it.

It is NOT important to get the SPI to do it, until the SPI by-laws state
that it is part of the purpose.

You are mixing your personal goals and the goals of the SPI. They are
not one and the same, nor are they inter-related. The SPI goals are
clearly stated in it's documented purpose.

You should be following that purpose when dealing with or about the SPI.

If you want that purpose to change, then you need to propose that as a
separate agenda item at which point a vote can be called as dictated by
the by-laws.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake