[Spi-private] Bruce's Platform

Matthew Garrett mjg59-spi at srcf.ucam.org
Fri Jul 14 16:58:49 UTC 2006

On Fri, Jul 14, 2006 at 09:50:01AM -0700, Bruce Perens wrote:
> Matthew Garrett wrote:
> > I find the idea of you defining Debian's role in the SPI/Debian
> > relationship insulting.
> Well, the social contract does not attempt to define that role, and
> anything else I posted is discussion, not an order. You're going
> overboard to find it insulting.

"The activism role belongs in SPI, and Debian's role is to be a
member software project of SPI."

That's a statement, not discussion. Strangely enough, I do find it
insulting to be told what Debian's role is by somebody outside the
project. I suspect you'd be somewhat upset if I said "Bruce's role is to
sit in the corner and say nothing".

> > I can't see any realistic way of conforming to article 6 in anything other than a real-time discussion medium.
> >
> It would look a bit contrived, but could be done. Currently, it would
> only have to be done quarterly.

So either there'd be a contrived email discussion that would be
carefully formatted to fit article 6 (making any actual discussion
horribly awkward), or you'd have to change the by-laws. Realistically,
the second of these is your only real option.
Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org