[Spi-private] SPI board and the software patent issue

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Fri Jul 14 17:51:59 UTC 2006

On Fri, Jul 14, 2006 at 09:40:02AM -0700, Bruce Perens wrote:
> Benj. Mako Hill wrote:
> > But I don't really see how a seat on the SPI board helps you oppose them more effectively
> It's important to get SPI and its members and especially its board more
> involved in issues. This is not just about getting them to help ME to
> oppose anything, it's getting them to do it.

The question is WHICH issues.

Is SPI about:

 * Helping Free Software projects get established

 * Helping Free Software projects defend themselves legally

 * Helping Free Software projects receive and manage donations

 * Encouring Free Software developers in any way we can

Or about political advocacy?

I really think SPI is about the former, and there is a LOT we can do
there.  Shouldn't our limited resources be spent on our actual mission,
and leave the lobbying to the lobbyists?

(And of course, there is a quite real legal question about all you're
suggesting.)

-- John