[Spi-private] Bruce's Platform

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Fri Jul 14 19:25:46 UTC 2006

Matthew Garrett <mjg59-spi at srcf.ucam.org>
> Education of a sort that is not part of SPI's currently stated goals.
> Let's be quite clear, here.  [...]

Indeed, let's!  Goals/Purposes are what SPI is trying to achieve,
but methods/powers are how it may do it.  If board members
judge that education about swpat is within the general powers
listed in Section 202 of the Not-For-Profit Corporation Law
http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/nycodes/c76/a3.html (can that
be a weblink on the new site's copy of the bylaws, please?),
then it's fine.  As long as that education is not encouraging
unlawful behaviour, I can't see how it exceeds SPI's powers.

Matthew Garrett helped to form another organisation (DUS)
which I think is rather confused about purposes and powers,
so I'd not pay much attention to his complaints about them.

[...]
> I can't see any realistic way of conforming to article 6 in anything
> other than a real-time discussion medium.

Do meetings currently conform to article 6, JOOI?

--
MJR/slef
Laux nur mia opinio: vidu http://people.debian.org/~mjr/