[Spi-private] Bruce's Platform

Matthew Garrett mjg59-spi at srcf.ucam.org
Fri Jul 14 19:55:23 UTC 2006

On Fri, Jul 14, 2006 at 08:25:46PM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
> Matthew Garrett <mjg59-spi at srcf.ucam.org>
> > Education of a sort that is not part of SPI's currently stated goals.
> > Let's be quite clear, here.  [...]
>
> Indeed, let's!  Goals/Purposes are what SPI is trying to achieve,
> but methods/powers are how it may do it.

I'm not saying that it's unlawful or impossible for SPI to carry out
these acts. I'm saying that it's not part of its currently stated goals,
and that those are the goals that most of the membership (presumably)
currently agree with. It's not at all obvious that changing those goals
would meet with the agreement of the membership, either people or
projects.

> Matthew Garrett helped to form another organisation (DUS)
> which I think is rather confused about purposes and powers,
> so I'd not pay much attention to his complaints about them.

I was present when the Debian UK society was formed, but played no part
in its formation. I'm not really sure what that has to do with anything.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org