[Spi-private] Bruce's Platform

Thijs Kinkhorst thijs at debian.org
Fri Jul 14 10:35:10 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-07-13 at 21:09 -0500, John Goerzen wrote:
> I've bit my tongue about you for a few years now, out of respect for a
> fellow candidate for the board, a fellow member of it, and out of a
> need to be a force for unity and progress as president.

Right. I've only just joined this organisation as a member, but I'm
quite worried that you appearently believe this to be the right approach
to such a situation.

When you're troubled about the actions or non-actions of a fellow board
member, you eiter:
1) Try to change it as soon as possible, talk with them about it, maybe
   first in private, if it can't be resolved, with the board as a
   whole. You seek changes that address the problems. Or,
2) You accept and ignore it.

However, you *don't*:
3) Keep silent about it when it's still possible to change the
   situation, and only when it's over and done with make a big
   fuss. And not even just on spi-private but publically!

Option three is a highly unprofessional attitude in my opinion,
regardless of the person Bruce Perens or whatever he's done. It's just
destructive criticism. You're putting the dirty laundry out in front of
the world to see it, without an attempt to resolve the differences in
private and at a time that it would actually have a good effect.

I hope we can be refrained from more of that in the future.

Thijs