[Spi-private] SPI board and the software patent issue

Marc 'HE' Brockschmidt marc at marcbrockschmidt.de
Fri Jul 14 17:34:34 UTC 2006

Bruce Perens <bruce at perens.com> writes:
> Benj. Mako Hill wrote:
>> But I don't really see how a seat on the SPI board helps you oppose
> them more effectively
> It's important to get SPI and its members and especially its board more
> involved in issues. This is not just about getting them to help ME to
> oppose anything, it's getting them to do it.

Sadly, one of the board members [1] who is actively working against
software patents has failed to get the SPI members and board more
involved, for example by attending board meetings.

Sorry, if you're saying that you want SPI to take a more prominent
position against software patents [2], you should have tried to do this
as board member. That hasn't happened, so I see no reason to vote for
you.

Marc

Footnotes:
[1]  Bruce Perens
[2]  Which I don't believe is something SPI should do, simply because
     SPI has another role to play
--
BOFH #312:
incompatible bit-registration operators