money handling

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Sun Jul 16 20:25:15 UTC 2006

On Sun, Jul 16, 2006 at 11:11:32AM -0700, Bruce Perens wrote:
> The most important thing we've done about money management in the last
> several years has been to hire a professional book-keeper. The next
> important task for the coming year, IMO, is hiring a CPA. Doing these

First off, SPI already HAS a relationship with a CPA.  Please google
for cpa site:spi-inc.org.  The board also authorized this while you
were on it.  In short, between our legal counsel and bookeepeing firm,
plus that CPA, we have everything taken care of that a CPA might need
to do, plus advice on what needs to go to a CPA and what to give to one.

You don't hire an expensive CPA to do basic bookkeeping and daily mail
processing, which it sounds like you've been trying to suggest we do.

> jobs with officers has had a less-than-desirable success rate, and we've
> had enough different treasurers to tell it's not a problem with just one

I don't recall an officer ever doing the sort of thing a CPA would
(file taxes and the like).  Why would you have SPI hire a CPA to do
bookkeeper's work?  The bookkeeper is to take the load off the
officers.

-- John