Josh Berkus's platform on political activity, was: money handling

Josh Berkus josh at postgresql.org
Mon Jul 17 18:11:29 UTC 2006

MJ,

Ok, these are pretty clear.   To suppliment my earlier e-mail (please read
that before these answers), here's some direct yes-no.

> 1. Are you promising to oppose all political activity if elected?

No, I am not.

> 2. How does that tie up with your manifesto promise to "represent
>    the views of the community"?

N/A since the answer to (1) is "no".

> 3. How is SPI doing something directing associated projects?

If we were to engage in major outward-facing political activity without the
endorsement of the associated projects, we would be effectively "dragging
them along with us."

> 4. Should SPI work be blockable by any and every associated project?

Depends on the kind of work, and the kind of objection.  In extreme cases,
yes.

> 5. Are you pledging to work to change [required votes] if elected?

If I believe that the initiative has the backing of the majority of SPI
members and member projects and is consistent with our mission, then I'm
very good at building consensus.  Keep in mind that consensus usually
means "compromise" as well, though -- it's not a matter of badgering the
holdouts into agreement.

> 6. If so, why is your voting reform plan not in your manifesto?

Because currently SPI has a very loose structure in which the members elect
the board every year and the board does whatever it wants.   Within that
structure, I don't think that any charter modification is necessary.

I guess one of our differences is that I see listening to the associated
projects as consistent with (if fact, required by) inviting them to join
and thus no change in direction for SPI.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Acting PostgreSQL Liason, SPI