[Spi-private] Re: money handling

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Mon Jul 17 20:47:29 UTC 2006

On Mon, Jul 17, 2006 at 04:28:51PM -0400, Russ Nelson wrote:
> Josh Berkus writes:
>  > I personally can't imagine the PostgreSQL project requesting anything that
>  > wasn't "software in the public interest" related.
>
> I personally can't imagine the Open Source Initiative doing anything
> that wasn't "software in the public interest" related.  But some SPI
> board members can, so a minority of the board's opinion carried the
> day.  I'm not trying to change their mind; I just want board
> candidates to be aware that their stated goals differ from past and/or
> current positions held by the SPI board.

There is also quite a colorful history between opensource.org,
OSI, and SPI, and the relationship of OSI to SPI was always quite
different than any other.  If memory serves, opensource.org and the Open
Source mark was created by SPI, which isn't the case for any other
project.

Of course, then there was The Great Resignation, in which most of the
SPI board resigned (only 1 member remained), and Bruce trying to claim
by fiat that SPI transfers Open Source mark to OSI without having
obtained board approval, etc.  [1]

Again if memory serves, the founding board members of OSI consisted of
some of these former SPI members, plus a few others.  OSI was created
*after* SPI established opensource.org.  I am still unclear as to why or
how OSI considers itself a SPI project; the closest I can find from a
quick search of public documents is that SPI considers "OpenSource.org"
to be an SPI project, but has no such relationship with OSI.

And Bruce, before you complain about me bringing up bad things you did
in 1998, let me add that you mentioned acts you did in that timeframe in
a positive light, so there's nothing unfair about it.  If you're going
to tout your accomplishments from 1998, we should also look at problems.

[1] http://www.spi-inc.org/news/1998/19981124