Changes to the mailinglist setup

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Tue Oct 24 13:04:51 UTC 2006

On Tue, Oct 24, 2006 at 11:01:19AM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> [John Goerzen]
> > I have been using the Spamhaus RBL for *years* and have yet to have
> > had a false positive with it.
> >
> > And this on systems that process far more mail than SPI.
>
> What method do you use to detect false positives with such large
> amount of email?

We return 550 during the SMTP conversation.  If this was something from
a real human, they'd be contacting us another way.

Which is another benefit of RBLs -- with some MTAs, it's easier to do
the checking as part of the SMTP conversation, so sane error can be
returned to humans if indeed they were the original senders.

In my setups, I do run spamassassin immediately after DATA, so
legitimate senders should still get a sane error.  We run it fairly
conservatively, and have only had one person fall afoul of this since we
deployed it a year or so ago.

-- John