SPI and the case of dissolution

Ian Jackson ijackson at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Thu Oct 26 12:31:51 UTC 2006

Josh Berkus writes ("Re: SPI and the case of dissolution"):
> I don't think that case was anticipated, at least I can't find it in
> the bylaws.  Maybe someone who's been here from the beginning (Ian?
> Joey?)  could enlighten me.  In my experience, when NPOs fall apart
> there is plenty of warning (months to years) and lots of time for
> the board and membership to decide what to do with the assets of the
> organization.  As an example, the Women's Philharmonic in San
> Francisco went bankrupt in 1999 and didn't finally dissolve all of
> their assets until 2003.

I assume you're talking about an Associated Project dissolving or
disappearing, rather than SPI itself.  I think we should be looking
for the answere in the Associated Projects framework.

The most relevant section seems to be this:

  If a Project's internal organization or procedures are unclear or
  disputed, SPI will deal with the situation as fairly as possible; if
  possible SPI will act according to the decisions or rough consensus
  of the Project's participants or in case of doubt that of the whole
  Community.

This leaves the board quite a bit of discretion to try to do the right
thing, which I think is the best answer to the problem.

If SPI itself were to dissolve the matter would get complicated.  Each
project would have to say what we should do with the money, and of
course we would only be able to pass it on to other appropriatley
charitable institutions.  Let's hope that doesn't happen any time soon.

Ian.