Election results

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Tue Aug 7 10:58:27 UTC 2007

Neil McGovern wrote: [...]
> The following members are appointed to the SPI board:
> Bdale Garbee
> David Graham
> Luk Claes
> Joerg Jaspert
> Joshua D. Drake
> Martin Zobel-Helas

Well done to the new members.  When do you meet for the first time?

However, it's interesting that I think both first-past-the-post and
alternative vote (also known as instant run-off voting, reportedly
recommended by Robert's Rules for election-by-mail) would have
resulted in this same board:

   1. Bdale Garbee
   2. David Graham
   3. Joshua D. Drake
   4. Martin 'Joey' Schulze
   5. Luk Claes
   6. MJ Ray

More generally, is SPI's type of Condorcet ever likely to elect
someone who polarises views, or who many inexplicably dislike?  What
does this say for any plan to use a Condorcet for debian's social
committee?  Could majorities always prevent minority reps?  For SPI,
does this mean that candidates from smaller projects are at the mercy
of the debian project?

(More commentary and navel-gazing illustration at
http://mjr.towers.org.uk/blog/2007/spi#resultelections
if you want it.)

> 95 votes were received.

Finally, as I understand it, turn-out was 25% of voting members (not
the 25% of SPI members that some press reported). Why was turn-out so
low (at least, I think it's low for a vote-by-mail in this type of
organisation) and what steps will SPI be taking to increase it?

Thanks and best wishes,
Experienced webmaster-developers for hire http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
Also: statistician, sysadmin, online shop builder, workers co-op.