Election results

Anthony Towns aj at azure.humbug.org.au
Sun Aug 5 05:39:21 UTC 2007

On Sun, Jul 29, 2007 at 01:03:10PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> Running the numbers myself gave the following results [...]

Oh, I tried it with Single Transferable Vote (which is a multi-winner
counting method used for the Australian Senate and a bunch of other
places). The outcome in that case is:

	Bdale elected             ( 1st)
	Joshua and David elected  (2nd and 3rd)
	  Rico eliminated         (13th)
	  Richard eliminated      (12th)
	  Robert eliminated       (11th)
	  Martin Zobel eliminated (10th)
	  MJ eliminated           ( 9th)
	  Christel eliminated     ( 8th)
	Luk elected               ( 4th)
	Ian elected               ( 5th)
	Joerg elected             ( 6th)
	  Joey not elected        ( 7th)

The difference between STV and the system we're using is that it tries to
make each vote only count for one slot -- so all the people who elected
Bdale in the first round have their votes weighted down.

For SPI's case, we probably have a majority of people who're familiar
with Debian, so if they all rank the Debian folks they're familiar with
first, no one else will get a chance, because they're a majority for
the first slot and remain a majority all the way through to the last slot.

That the only practical difference is between Martin and Ian getting
elected probably says good things about the general level of consistency
amongst the electors, particularly given they had a pairwise tie anyway,.

Cheers,
aj