Election results

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Tue Aug 7 13:51:24 UTC 2007

Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho <antti-juhani at kaijanaho.fi> wrote:
> As I'm sure you know - as it was discussed during the soc ctte debates
> at Debian - the election method used here fails proportionality.

Why be sure?  Assumption is the mother of all ... To be clear, I
didn't know Condorcet-SPI was already discussed - I'm not very good at
reading political intricacies (I'm much more interested in the effects
than the theory, as long as effects don't include obvious bugs), so
maybe I didn't recognise it. Also, I'd forget my head if it weren't
screwed on, I seldom read all of those debates and I don't remember
seeing a summary. (note 1)

Where's that discussion, please?

Anyway, should/how could we try to fix this proportionality failure?

Also, anyone want to try something like Principal Components Analysis
on common aspects of the platforms?

(note 1: Searching a while found the email archived at
http://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2007/06/msg00318.html
which mentions "another mail" but nothing more to find it!
Other mails that month don't look obviously about SPI's method, like
http://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2007/06/msg00261.html
A search for mails about SPI from author kaijanaho found a 1999 one.)

Regards,
Experienced webmaster-developers for hire http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
Also: statistician, sysadmin, online shop builder, workers co-op.