Election results

Joshua D. Drake jd at commandprompt.com
Tue Aug 7 16:37:05 UTC 2007

Neil McGovern wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 07, 2007 at 08:37:20AM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>>> So the only way to contribute is to vote for SPI board members? :-)
>> No but I could easily argue that there is an implicit responsibility to
>> "maintain" your membership to SPI which would indeed include voting.
>>
>> I will also concede that there is no explicit statement to this effect
>> which causes me to want to write up a motion to insure that we put it
>> into place.
>>

> I don't think there's a need for a motion here, see article 3 of the
> by-laws.

Agreed from article 3:

Membership in this organization shall be open to all who meet the
approval of the membership committee. Members have the right and
responsibility of overseeing the board members, officers, and committees
and ensuring that they operate in accordance with the goals and
principles of the organization. All board members, officers, and
committees are ultimately responsible to the membership, and should act
in accordance with its wishes.

Contributing and non-contributing memberships are available within this
organization. Members agree to support the principles and help further
the goals of this organization. All membership applications and renewals
will be reviewed by the Membership Committee. Applicants must meet the
criteria set forth in the charter of the Membership Committee.

Members may be individuals or organizations.

Members wishing to leave the organization may do so at any time by
notifying the membership committee in writing of their desire for the
membership to be terminated.

Thus it isn't even implicit. :) Excellent.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake