Election results

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Tue Aug 7 17:09:50 UTC 2007

Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho <antti-juhani at kaijanaho.fi> wrote:
> [...] Of course, I can't find
> anywhere a precise definition of the SPI method for *multi-winner*
> elections, but the result page makes me believe it's what I'd expect.
>
> I'll revisit if you'll point me to the definition of the multi-winner
> SPI method :)

The one I found at https://members.spi-inc.org/vote/election.php?id=6
says:

    Votes will be counted using the "Condorcet" election method system
    which will be used to select the most preferred candidate.
    Conceptually, the election will be broken into a a series of
    pairwise races between each possible paring of the candidates. If
    one candidate beats each of the others in pairwise races, that
    candidate wins. Otherwise, the "Cloneproof/Schwartz Sequential
    Dropping" method is employed to choose the most prefered candidate
    from those remaining. Some background reading on preferential
    voting and Condorcet is available online.

    As such, you are being asked to vote your preferences by ranking
    the candidates. Your preference will best be shown when you
    specify all canadiates, in order of preference (i.e. "XYZWTUV", X
    being the most preferred). Voting "XY" states that you prefer
    candidate X to Y. However, it does not express any preference
    relationships for any of the other candidates.

Is that the same one discussed in
http://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2007/06/msg00261.html
?  (= is Jacobo Tarrio describing C/SSD? I think)

So, this is non-proportional?

[...]
> My current favourite is the Schulze STV method that generalizes the
> classic Schulze ("cloneproof Schwarz sequential dropping") method to
> multiple-winner elections.  It is claimed to satisfy proportionality,
> though I haven't bothered checking the argument myself.

Noted.  Will any voting expert tell us how Schulze STV would result?

Thanks,
Experienced webmaster-developers for hire http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
Also: statistician, sysadmin, online shop builder, workers co-op.