Making the ballots secret

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Wed Aug 8 07:55:53 UTC 2007

Wichert Akkerman <wichert at wiggy.net> wrote:
> Previously MJ Ray wrote:
> > One way they are not secret is that votes seem to be stored on that
> > server indefinitely.  Any webmaster of members.spi-inc could see all
> > of our past votes back to at least 2004, right?
>
> No, a script is run post-vote that removes the relation between the vote
> and the votee.

So why can I see my past votes back to 2004?

Still, can a webmaster of members.spi-inc see votes for current ballots?
That doesn't seem secret.

(As I understand it, secret ballots in real life often happen by
issuing anonymous-but-validated ballot papers to voters in a
controlled space, which are then completed and submitted into holding
pools along with similar votes from many others.  SPI voters' ability
to check one's own vote afterwards is unusual.  Although good, I don't
see how to do it by modelling a real-life secret ballot.)

Regards,
Experienced webmaster-developers for hire http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
Also: statistician, sysadmin, online shop builder, workers co-op.