SPI-debian relationship

Anthony Towns aj at azure.humbug.org.au
Thu Feb 15 04:32:42 UTC 2007

On Wed, Feb 14, 2007 at 07:00:52PM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> [...] please would the board confirm
> that SPI will recognise decisions taken according to the Debian
> Constitution as well as those made by the DPL?

As far as I'm concerned, there's no difference. In accepting the role
of project representative to SPI, I consider that to mean accurately
representing all decisions made in accordance with the constitution to
the SPI board, including those I might disagree with or not care about
personally.

I think the only case where it's come up is the legal opinion on including
Java in non-free, which eventually happened during linux.conf.au so
I completely forgot to do anything about it. Tsk. I'm not sure how to
summarise or followup on it while respecting/preserving attorney/client
privelege, but I've forwarded it on to John now anyway.

In any event, there are a number of other DDs on the SPI board whom I
have every reason to expect will ensure that Debian's resources are used
in accordance with Debian's constitution. Heck, the original drafter is
one of the board members at the moment...

Cheers,
aj