Resolution 2007-02-15.jrk.1: Openness of Board Discussions

Ian Jackson ijackson at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Thu Feb 15 15:18:12 UTC 2007

Jimmy Kaplowitz writes ("Resolution 2007-02-15.jrk.1: Openness of Board Discussions"):
> I propose the below resolution for a board vote at the March meeting,
> since I have been told by the secretary that it is too late for a vote
> at the February meeting. I apologize for its verboseness, but all of it
> seems necessary to achieve its intended purpose. Improvements are
> welcome.

Thanks for that.  I hope that no-one on the board will disagree with
any of it.  Mostly it's things I have been trying to do anyway but it
will be helpful to have them formalised.

One thing that is left unclear is when a board member should take it
upon themselves to forum-shift a discussion to a more-public list, and
if so how that should be done.  This is a constantly thorny problem
with some difficult tradeoffs.  I would like to discuss how we should
go about that.

I would suggest something like the following:

 * When a confidential matter is first mentioned, a clear statement
   should be made of _what_ is confidential and _why_.

 * If no such statement is present in a message from a Board member
   or officer which starts a new thread on -board or -private then any
   recipient of the message is entitled to:
    - enquire as to the confidentiality status;
    - follow up with a confidentiality statement;
    - repost it to a more public venue and reply in the more
      private venue to say that they have done so.
   Every recipient should use their own judgement about whether there
   is a need for confidentiality, and should err on the side of
   minimising mistakes (ie, ask).

   If a thread is forum-shifted in this way to a more public list,
   then anyone who replies should reply in the more public venue,
   unless they disagree with the forum-shift.

   This policy specifically supersedes the right of Board members and
   officers to the normal respect for the confidentiality of head
   article emails they send to -board and -private, unless the sender
   specifically states that they intend for the message to be
   confidential.

 * When the confidentiality status of a head article is made clear, the
   New matters with different confidentiality properties should not be
   introduced.  Followups in confidential threads should not be
   forum-shifted to more public venues.

Ian.