Resolution 2007-02-15.jrk.1: Openness of Board Discussions

Josh Berkus josh at postgresql.org
Thu Feb 15 16:50:45 UTC 2007

Jimmy,

(apologies for cross posting for anyone who is double-subscribed, but a lot of
members are not)

First, I don't think we should vote on this in Feburary.  We've already passed
the deadline for agenda items, and I can't see this in any way as "urgent".
Also, you're violating our new procedures which require resolutions to be
posted to spi-private, NOT spi-general.  For this reason, I've gone ahead and
cross-posted it.

Second, I'm unclear on the roles of spi-general vs. spi-private here.   I'm
particularly concerned that many contributing members have unsubscribed from
spi-general because of prior spam issues.   Also, quite frankly, I'm unclear
on why we even *have* an spi-general, given that the subscribers seem to be a
subset of spi-private.  I think the purposes of the various lists from the
organization's perspective needs to be clarified before passing any such
resolution.

Finally, I'm not going to vote for this resolution unless I first see that
several to many contributing members think one is warranted.  I personally
don't see a resolution as necessary; several members have made clear after
the opensource.org discussion that they expect greater transparency and the
board has responded through improved rules on notifications for board
business as well as plans to disclose the board@ discussion on that topic.
At this point, MJ is grandstanding and I won't cater to it.

--
Josh Berkus
Treasurer