Draft resolution formalising Debian's Associated Project status
ijackson at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Wed Feb 28 18:14:53 UTC 2007
Formally recording Debian's status as an Associated Project
1. Debian is asubstantial and significant Free Software project;
2. SPI and Debian regard Debian as an SPI Associated Project; however
3. The detailed terms of the Association have not been formally
stated by the SPI Board in the manner now customary.
THE SPI BOARD DECLARES THAT
4. Debian is already an SPI Associated Project,
according to the SPI Framework for Associated Projects, SPI
Resolution 1998-11-16.iwj.1-amended-2004-08-10.iwj.1, a copy of
which can be found at
5. The Debian Constitution (http://www.debian.org/devel/constitution),
and the persons holding the roles it defines and acting according
to that Constitution, are recognised by SPI as ultimately
authoritative regarding decisions of the Debian Project.
6. The SPI Board does not intend to monitor the Debian mailing lists.
The Board will recognise decisions, statements and delegations made
by the Debian Project Leader, currently Anthony Towns, as made on
behalf of Debian.
7. The Board specifically asks that the Debian Project Secretary
inform the SPI Board of any Debian General Resolutions which might
be relevant to SPI, including any proposals to put spending
decisions on hold.
8. The Board relies on Debian Developers and others to ensure that the
Board is made aware of any dispute or change regarding decisions or
authority of the Debian Project Leader (or indeed the Debian
9. The Debian Constitution in 5.1(10) gives the Project Leader the
primary responsibility to decide on the proper uses of assets held
in trust by SPI for Debian purposes.
Notwithstanding this, for the avoidance of any doubt, the SPI Board
and Treasurer cannot and will not delegate their judgement as to
whether a proposed use of assets meets SPI's charitable purposes.
As recognised by the Debian Constitution in 9.2(1), SPI must make
that decision, itself ensuring SPI's funds are used lawfully.
More information about the Spi-general