[Spi-private] Publically viewable resolutions and increasing the visibility of board activity

Jimmy Kaplowitz jimmy at spi-inc.org
Tue Jan 2 04:12:18 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jan 02, 2007 at 02:37:00AM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> > The only real changes from how I've been doing things are:
> > * resolutions must now be sent at least 48h in advance.
> >   - Previously it's been 24h. Before I was secretary, it was none.
>
> 1. it lengthens a no-proposals-allowed period before the meeting
> again.  This deadline is new this year and is unwelcome.
[...]
> Instead of yet more red tape for members, fixing some of the web site
> bugs, more notice of meetings (including business) and conducting more
> board discussions in public would be far better ways to improve member
> participation and communication.

If we are to give more notice of meetings including the business that
will be conducted at them, we clearly need to have a firm cutoff after
which proposals received will be deferred to a future meeting. Otherwise
members could have a reasonable complaint that new business was added
to the meeting agenda too shortly beforehand for them to notice it. The
two desires you express above, in other words, are contradictory.
(Fixing website bugs and conducting board discussions in as public a
forum as fits the subject matter are not what I am referring to, and we
both agree those are good things to do.)

- Jimmy Kaplowitz
jimmy at spi-inc.org