[Spi-private] Publically viewable resolutions and increasing the visibility of board activity

Neil McGovern neilm at spi-inc.org
Wed Jan 3 15:44:55 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jan 03, 2007 at 03:01:33PM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> Neil McGovern <neilm at spi-inc.org> wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 03, 2007 at 01:31:33PM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> > > It is unnecessary to link member participation deadlines with meeting
> > > notice periods.
> >
> > Now I'm confused. If a notice of the meeting doesn't contain the full
> > agenda, what use is it apart from just being a simple reminder?
>
> It is more useful because it contains more information about what the
> meeting will discuss.  Analogously, are people more likely to attend
> after seeing a notice saying "Concert 9pm Friday" or "Concert by local
> acoustic band Best Kept Secret 9pm Friday 12 January at The Pen and
> Quill Taunton" or must they have the final set list?
>
> If including 100% of the details has obvious negative effects
> (restrictions on participation) but 99% does not, then include 99%.
> That's still a massive improvement on the recent 0%s.  If anything in
> the 1% is new but not urgent, acknowledge it and defer any final
> decisions.

Recent mails certainly contain more than 0% information, my template is:
------------------- snip -------------------
MEETING REMINDER
----------------

The Board of Directors of Software in the Public Interest, Inc., will
hold a public board of directors meeting on
Tuesday, January 16, 2007, 19:00 UTC.

SPI meetings are held on the OFTC IRC network, irc.oftc.net, in #spi.
The agenda for the meeting is open for additions and available at
http://www.spi-inc.org/secretary/agenda/2007/2007-01-16.html

At time of writing, one motion has been raised, and there is one set
of minutes to approve.

If you need to get an item on the agenda, please contact the SPI
Secretary at secretary at spi-inc.org. Agenda items and resolutions
should be received 48h prior to the meeting start.

More information on SPI meetings can be found at
http://www.spi-inc.org/corporate/meetings.

So, using the analogy above, it says "Board meeting by Board of
directors 7pm UTC Tuesday January 16th".

What people seem to be asking for *is* the set list.

Oh, and please don't CC: me. I read the lists and keep getting mails
twice from yourself.

Neil
--
Neil McGovern
Secretary, Software in the Public Interest, Inc.