ASL/SPI partnership

Josh Berkus josh at postgresql.org
Mon Jan 29 04:22:27 UTC 2007

Felipe,

> 	Yes, I think is is something like that.  Since DebConf4, ASL.org
> is holding Debian's money and every once in a while, Brazilian Debian
> Developers request Debian Project Leader (DPL) approval to use the money
> to pay for a booth or to make some CDs.  The money is also used in
> situations like DebConf reimbursements.

Hmmm.  How would we handle eventual balance-of-payment issues?   Given that
we're liable to raise more money in the US?  We can't just transfer to
you.  :-(

> 	With the last change in the Debian Constitution, it seems that
> DPL is able to apoint a list of "sister" organizations that can take
> care of Debian's money, which is in fact what already happen, because
> ASL.org do not use the money without DPL approval and a Brazilian DD
> "hint" (which basically means, translating and forwarding mails to the
> right people). ;)

Yes.  If we're talking Debian only, the DPL can ask me to pay *any* Debian
expense; he doesn't have to justify it as a sister organization or anything.
As long as the DPL asks for it, someone produces a receipt and it's not
something specifically prohibited, I'll pay it.

Now, I think it might be more useful to do partnerships for all SPI
organizations.  PostgreSQL, for example, has a large community in Brazil and
no non-profit org there.  I'll have to talk to them about that when I'm there
for FISL8.

--
Josh Berkus
Treasurer